Friday, November 14, 2014

Ian at Breakfast - in Strokes of Genius Book!

"Ian at Breakfast"  (pastel, 18x14 inches) 

I bragged this sometime last year but wanted to announce that the Strokes of Genius 6 - The Best of Drawing (from North Light Books) is now available, and my painting of my son is on page 37! (The whole page!)

This is my one portrait of my son by himself, which I did as an answer to his question "Hey, Ma, how come you always draw Audrey?" So I searched through my family photo files and found this one from when he was still young enough to not be self-conscious in front of a camera. I remember taking the photo; it was the light that caught me, and I believe even then I thought that I would paint this scene. The blinds shadows were a great challenge, but the abstract shapes they created made it easier to get into the 'zone.'

No comments:

Post a Comment