Monday, September 15, 2014

Willow - day 15

"Willow"  (pastel, 12x6 inches)  click here to bid

Half-way through the 30-paintings-in-30-days challenge of September!

This was my first demo for the OPS last weekend. I showed them how I build up my underpainting with pastel primers.

 The first layers are gold colored. This is Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold fluid acrylic color mixed into Golden (brand) Fine Pumice Gel at about a 1/4 (color/gel) ratio. The gel is clear, so the color mixture is semi-transparent, and gets darker on each application.
(The initial layer of gold I usually spread across large pieces of Gatorboard, then cut to size and transfer my drawings, working in 'batches' of 6 to 8 at a time.)




 3 layers of the gold primer. While this took a minute to dry, I talked about some of my other paintings.
The final layer of primer is the Art Spectrum (brand) Pastel Primer in the terra cotta color. I lay it into the darkest areas, then scrub and dry-brush it into the medium values of the gold to continue the value scale and add more depth to the monochromatic underpainting.



 I use a little square of sponge to apply it. Old bristle brushes will work also.


A rapt audience.
Then comes the pastel...







 Only as much as it needs, and no more!
Thanks for watching! Please share!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment