Saturday, May 10, 2014

Havarti (and New Workshop Listing!)

"Havarti"  (pastel, 7x5 inches)  click here to bid

The newest addition to my cheese names, Havarti was fun to paint because she is a great warm color and I was able to let a lot of the primer show through.

Here's what the primer underpainting looked like:
For you visitors who are new to my work, I like to start my pastel paintings with an underpainting that I make using a couple of acrylic based pastel primers that contain pumice and so hold on to pastel very well. I start with Golden (brand) Fine Pumice Gel with Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold liquid acrylic color added. This is semi-transparent and so will get darker with each application. I'll do 2 or 3 layers of this, building up some of the light/medium values in my subject. Then I'll add some Art Spectrum pastel primer in the terra cotta color, and will scuffle/dry brush this in some areas, to continue the value scale into the medium/dark areas of the image.

I teach this method and other tips for fast and simple small-sized paintings in my popular "Pastel in Miniature" workshops. I've just added one on to my schedule for October 17 & 18, in Marble Falls, TX! Click the image below for a better view of the flyer, and visit my Workshop Page of my website for more information and links.
I'd love to see you there!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment