Thursday, July 18, 2013

Chipotle

"Chipotle" (pastel, 7x5 inches)  click here to bid

This is the same calf I painted in "Beautiful Morning," from the same beautiful morning photo shoot! Chipotle lives with a herd near my son's high school.

"Beautiful Morning" (pastel, 24x24 inches)
See progress shots for "Chipotle" below:

The reference photo with the primer underpainting

The primer underpainting. I use a combination of Golden (brand) fine pumice gel with Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold acrylic color added, and Art Spectrum pastel primer in the terra cotta color. Since the Golden gel is transparent, it gets darker with each layer, and I dry-brush the terra cotta primer in some of the areas where I want a thinner application. This creates a good value-scaled underpainting for the pastels!





Thanks for watching! Please share!!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment