Friday, May 31, 2013

The United Colors of Bovinton

"The United Colors of Bovinton" (pastel, 16x16 inches) $975

I cropped this composition straight out of a photo from one of the feed lots up in Kansas. The camera was on it's longest zoom, as I had to stand back on higher ground next to the road because of the double fence around the lot. Still, the cows saw me and were curious. They stood facing my way as if waiting for me to do something exciting.

The composition was inspired by my "4 And a Half Sheep" painting from last fall. I enjoyed the odd crop of that one so well that I've been on the lookout for more images that will make for interesting crops.

The title was inspired by the clothing store of a similar name that was popular at the local mall when I was in college and was known for utilizing models of all colors.

"The United Colors of Bovinton" will be in my solo show at the Breckenridge Fine Arts Center in Breckenridge, Texas, June 11-July 20, 2013.

I haven't included progression shots in a while so here you go!












This is the first scan of what I thought was a finished painting. However...
...This is the finished painting. Can you see all that I found that needed fixing? (The first scan was also too dark in general, for example, the shadowed side of the black cow was not changed, the final scan just exposes it better.)


Thanks for watching! Please share!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment