Saturday, March 16, 2013

Over The Hill

"Over The Hill"  (pastel, 6x6 inches) sold

I finished this one on Monday. It was the last underpainting from Sunday and I didn't have time to finish during Terri Ford's workshop. I loved my underpainting, and now wonder if maybe I should have let the Red Rule! and ignored the local color of my photo reference. Well, I can always try it again. I do like how this try turned out, too. But I LOVE the red! (Maybe this is why I like the Terra Cotta pastel primer under most of my paintings? Kind of the same effect...)

Below is the underpainting and the photo.

Unwashed underpainting with photo.

Washed-in underpainting with the beginning of blue sky in pastel.
This painting will be with me at the Bayou City Art Fest in Houston, next weekend March 22-24, 2013.
.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely painting Rita! I've never tried a wet underpainting. Seems like a great idea when using white paper. I absolutely love the hints of red that show through.

    ReplyDelete