Sunday, March 31, 2013

Cauliflower

"Cauliflower"  (pastel, 7x5 inches)  sold

This young goat was so very white, I used pure white as the lightest color, something I rarely do.

I'll be teaching my primer underpainting technique at my upcoming workshop in Ulysses, KS, April 5-7. There are a couple of spaces left - it's not too late to join us! See my workshop page for info.

Enjoy Cauliflower's progression pics below!

The reference photo with the primer underpainting









Thanks for watching. Please share!

.

2 comments:

  1. What do you use as your underpainting Rita? Your animals and all your art is stunning. Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonnie! I use Art Spectrum pastel primer (terra cotta) over Golden Fine Pumice Gel that has Quinacridone gold acrylic color added. The gold is transparent, so sometimes I'll add a second layer to darken some areas of gold, then also will skumble or dry-brush the terra cotta primer over areas, to create more tones.

      Delete