Sunday, March 17, 2013

Blizzard

"Blizzard"  (pastel, 6x6 inches) $245 

This painting will be with me at the Bayou City Art Fest in Houston this weekend, March 22-24, 2013.

I thought this goat looked like a "Snowflake" but I had already used that title on a white calf. Then I thought about it and realized that, being a goat, this innocent face most likely belies a nature that would be a lot more trouble than a single snowflake...

Below shows the underpainting that I made by layering Golden brand fine pumice gel toned with Quinacridone Nikel Azo Gold acrylic color, and Art Spectrum pastel primer in Terra Cotta. I've been using this sort of underpainting-with-primers method for quite a while now and always seem to gravitate back to it. I just love the brushed-on gritty texture and the warmth of these two colors together.




On another note, "Bandit" (below, pastel, 8x6) won Third Place in the Portrait category at the Austin Pastel Society Juried Member Exhibition (Thank you Terri Ford! :)


I never miss entering the APS Juried show. They always have such excellent prizes! Here's a pic of what I won! (All just for a Third Place!) Yum!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment