Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Park Trail #25

"Park Trail #25"  (pastel over watercolor, 6x8 inches)  click here to bid

These two conjoined trees stood sentinel over this patch of sunlit path.

This is the first of four new park trail paintings that I tried something different with.  After capturing the scene with a watercolor underpainting, I finished later with pastel completely from memory and imagination. I did take photos of the scenes, but I didn't use them after the watercolor was done. Instead, I tried to let the impression I had caught with the watercolor guide me in finishing the painting, using only my experience with values and color temperature, and my memory of the place.

My underpainting:

It's amazing, for one, how freeing it is to work with watercolor when you know you can 'fix' the icky parts with pastel if you need to (lol!) I think I may have overworked the pastel a wee bit on this one, but I like the light as I remembered it, and the mood of the two central trees.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment