Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Red Rock - from the Plein Air convention paint-out

"Red Rock"  (pastel, 8x10 inches)  click here to bid

I've finally had time to sort through my photos from the First Annual Plein Air Convention last month. Here's the painting I did out at Bonnie Springs Ranch, NV, on the Sunday morning outing. I tried to catch the cool, blocky shadow patterns on the mountain in the morning. Just an hour later they were almost gone!

 Here I am, painting!

The Saturday trip was icy cold and windy. Tremendous views, but no painting for me - I caught lots of great photos but wasn't brave enough to break out the easel... unlike so many of the die-hard professional plein air painters, many of them were there to help instruct and demonstrate for the rest of us!
Here are just a few of the great painters out there on Saturday:

Bryan Mark Taylor
Jean LeGassick

Matt Smith

Michael Godfrey
 Below are some of the inspiring views on Saturday. See the clouds coming over the mountains? Those were blowing at 20 mph and hitting us as freezing mist! Brrr!



Some of the die-hards still painting as many of us wimps were catching the first bus back to the hotel!


4 comments:

  1. My compliments! Terrific pastel of the Red Rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the mountain and the shadows are perfect....20mph freezing mist...I'd have been on the first bus back too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. for those who couldnt make the trip thank you for taking the time from your painting to take photos and share a bit of the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all! And, Sreihsl, you're very welcome!

    I realized here I've mixed up my pics a bit; My painting at the top is from Sunday, which was a beautiful sunny morning! The other photos are from the Saturday afternoon paintout at another park near Red Rock.
    Today I'll post the couple of paintings I did from my hotel room window on Saturday when I got back to the room! (I tried to make up for wimping out in the cold weather by painting SOMETHING!)

    ReplyDelete